Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Cultural Differences

I am in love with Ireland and its culture. Whether it is the food, music, or even the locals I feel right at home. However, the longer I am in Ireland the more cultural differences I have started to notice from America.
One main difference that I am still getting use to is Irish driving. In Ireland they drive on what we consider the “wrong” side of the road, the left side. Not only are roads different but also the speed limit. In Ireland the speed limit is measured in kilometers instead of miles. On my first bus ride I was absolutely terrified. Their roads are considerable smaller and the drivers are not afraid to take sharp, fast turns. To make matters even worse there are no shoulders on most roads in Ireland. It goes from sidewalk straight to the highway. I do not know if I will even get use to cars zooming around so close to each other honking their horns. That is one sound I have gotten use to, the high pitched honk of an impatient driver, which is most drivers here. I am a little worried to come back to the states and turn onto the wrong side of the road.    
Narrow road in Cork.
  
Another cultural difference I have noticed is that people do not tip at restaurants. This was very strange to me at first. Back home I am a waitress so I almost feel bad not leaving a tip for the server. My first week in Ireland I had a very good waiter so I decided to leave him a little tip anyway. He refused to take the tip saying he did not need it.
The most annoying difference I have experienced is the Irish’s view on time, they are not very punctual at all. They do not view being late or early bad. One gentleman told me that we do not need to rush through life so why be on time? In the short time I have been here I have had taxis and buses arrive anywhere from 20 minutes early to 20 minutes late. Some other differences are that the Irish usually always dress nice while I am usually walking around in my leggings or sweatpants. Shops tend to close early on weekdays, usually around 5 p.m. or 6 p.m.
I have learned so much from Irish culture. It is going to be strange going back to the states and adjusting to real life. 

            

No comments:

Post a Comment