Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Road So Far...

As of today I have been in Ireland for eleven days and I am absolutely loving it! In these eleven short days I have already learned so much. I have experienced Irish culture, learned about their history, and even tried to learn to speak Irish. I'll let you know right now I am not doing very well with the whole other language thing, but it'll get better, I hope. Anyway, I am absolutely loving my life in Ireland. This past week I have traveled around Ireland a little bit, so far I have only ventured into the towns of Galway and Spiddal. Both of these towns are relatively close to where I am staying in Ireland. They are both beautiful towns full of rich culture and friendly people. The locals in both of these towns have been very welcoming to us "tourists" from America. No matter where I go there is someone always willing to strike up a conversation with you. Whether you are walking down the street or into a pub for a quick bite to eat you can find a smiling face. This is one thing I have noticed in Ireland. I believe that people back in Nebraska are very friendly as well, but it is a little different here. I am not use to people just walking up and talking to me about anything and everything. The locals love to talk. I have talked to several different people and the same topic always seems to come up, land. They always want to know if we have any land back in the states and if we do how much we have. It always amazes people when we tell them are families own more than 5-10 acres of land. Here in Spiddal, Ireland it is very common for farms to only be a couple of acres big. Coming from small town Nebraska this sounded crazy to me. Talking to the locals is always interesting and I am looking forward to more stories and conversations.
Going out into town is a great way to meet new people but also to explore the absolute beauty of Ireland. Galway is such a historically beautiful city. All the houses and building are connected to each other to form a cute village atmosphere. On every street there are performers singing and playing guitars. There is even a little farmers market in the middle of town. At the farmers market I tried my first oyster that was shucked right in front of me. Once you get past the slim it is pretty good. Tomorrow I am traveling across the country to Cork, Ireland for the weekend. I cannot wait to see the beauty of Ireland from a different side of the country.
If you are not already jealous of my adventures in Ireland I'll tell you how I spent my time this afternoon. When I arrived in Ireland I had never seen the Ocean before and today I got to dip my fingers in the ocean for the first time. It was absolutely gorgeous. If that was not enough, it was also the first day since I got here that it did not rain. I look forward to the day in March and April when I can go swim in the ocean for the first time.






No comments:

Post a Comment